Brain injury is perhaps the most devastating type of injury one could sustain. It is usually caused ...+
Going about your day-to-day business, you don’t necessarily plan to encounter significant personal ...+
On March 3, 2013, a 47-year-old man died after a Portland motorcycle accident in which he crashed hi ...+
Bike accidents at night
Bicyclists are especially vulnerable to accidents while Night Riding; bike accidents at night have an extra likelihood of alcohol usage by the car driver than accidents in daytime, and of course extra issues of visibility.
Naturally, bicycles have a smaller silhouette than a car. A car which is oncoming to another driver, in the opposite lane, may have headlight glare that covers or lessens the night vision ability of the vehicle driver to adequately see and identify an oncoming bicycle, even if the bike has decent headlights and taillight.
Side wheel and pedal reflectors are truly survival gear out there in the Portland rain at night. Ditto for bike rain gear that has reflective sections.
For Portland Bicyclists, night biking means careful and extra planning to avoid a bike accident injury; extra vigilance is strongly encouraged while riding your bike at night.
Sometimes this means altering your route to the extent possible to avoid that busy intersection located near the bars and pubs where some drivers may decide that they can drive home after tossing back a few. Evenings and weekends can find a drunk driver crashing into an unsuspecting Portland bicyclist, causing serious injury or even death.
Trolley tracks may be obscured in the dark with a heavy rain and pose a risk of channeling your bike tires and end up causing a bike accident. Potholes may appear shallower in the dark for car drivers, or have shadows where the street lighting is inadequate.
The late night is good for bike riding given that there isn’t as much vehicle traffic as there is during day, but it does have it’s tradeoffs.
When I am asked about Bike Accidents in Portland, and I learn that the accident happened at night, I go to the scene myself – at the same time of night – to try and go out in the same kind of weather, understand the visibility of the bike from the point of view of the car or truck that hit the bike, and see and note the position of street lights; among other subtleties about bicycle accidents that I may notice due to my more than 30 years of practice as a personal injury attorney.
The fact is, that there can be very important information that is obtained from a timely inspection of the scene of a bicycle accident, which often results in vital information for the success of a potential bicycle injury lawsuit.
Some past experience with information that I have felt was important to injured bikers includes:
– A very distracting major department store Christmas display with huge reindeer, dazzling lights, creating an opportunity for driver distraction that resulted in a car bike accident.
– A store front video camera in the overhang of a pawn shop that captured the timing of the passing bicycle and the negligent truck driver. This information allowed a basic calculation of time and distance. So even though we could not see the actual bicycle accident on the video, the bicycle accident reconstruction expert was able to describe and estimate the speeds between the car and the bike upon impact with more probability.
– For Portland Bicycle Accident claims where truly technical information is needed, I may decide to call upon bicycle safety experts; human factors experts; accident reconstruction experts. Oregon bicycle lawyers pay attention to the little details, which may be quite important.
– Bicycle lawsuits may need night time night-meter or illumination-meter readings to determine how many candle-powers a light gave off, and how dark exactly is dark, between the street lights?
– I anticipate the proof and evidence that will be needed in order to present the best possible case to an insurance company adjuster in settlement negotiations, and at the same time I also plan ahead in case the bike accident settlement negotiations fall short and a lawsuit needs to be filed in the Portland courts.
– As a Portland Bicycle Accident Attorney, I have even sometimes time-lapsed photography of busy streets to demonstrate how many bikes pass through there on a given night and introduce traffic regulations and the applicable Bicycle Laws for the jury to consider in reaching their verdict.
– Weather reports are sometimes consulted, there are official weather reports. But such reports are often difficult to apply to a specific location, especially in Portland.
I realize that this is probably a lot of information which may seem overwhelming to a lot of injured bikers. As a Portland Bicycle Accident Attorney with more than 30 years of litigation experience in these matters, I encourage you to call me for a Free Legal Consultation at (888) 446-1999, and I will try and answer all your questions; or you can fill the case evaluation form, form a quick response an callback.
Even though Mark Leeds is a multi-tasker handling cases all over & all different areas of practice. With the assistance of his trusted team members & other office employees he is abbe to deliver that that first class personalized services....David
I had the unfortunate pleasure of getting into an auto accident while visiting family in POrtland, which can put a real damper on being festive (if you know what I mean) Luckily I found Mark Leeds while on my quest for representation. Mark is very knowledgeable, personable, and ...